DIY Home Organisation: A day plan to declutter your home.
Am doing some major cleaning in the house and I was alarmed at the things I saw among my belongings. It happens to most of us, our homes become cluttered and disorganised sometimes. In reality, keeping your house clean and clutter free can make life so much simpler and it doesn’t have to be hard.
Ask yourself these questions and be honest
- Do I see myself using this in the next 12 months? If not, get rid of it.
- Is the item broken? If you know you won’t fix it or make use of it within a short space of time, please get rid of it.
- Does it fit into your current lifestyle? Overtime we upgrade our closet; does this item currently fit into your new lifestyle? If not please get rid of it.
- Am I holding on to something because I feel I wasted money? Well is not good enough reason to keep what you know you will never make use of.
- Is there some sentiment attached to the item? Sentimental things have ways of really decluttering a home, sentiment aside; you can actually give the item to a special friend or family. Just get rid of it.
Now that the purging process has begun, we need empty boxes, trash bags with the following labels:
- Donate charity
- Throw away
- Put away(another room)
- Garage sales.
Over the next couple of days, go through items and decide the boxes they belong to. Be realistic, set time frame to tackle 1-3 rooms in a week depending on your size of space.
- Broken furniture
- Clothes that don’t fit
- Shoes and bags
- Anything that doesn’t fit
- Shoes and bags
- Containers (expired food, leftovers etc.)
- Junk foods (replace with healthy meals)
- Old spices
- Old cooking pots and pan
- Old kitchen rack
- Expired condiments and canned goods
- Expired skin care product
- Old brush
- Make up sponges
- Bath and body products
- Make up
- Old files
- Device that does not work
- Glove compartment
Now comes the cleaning part; Lets commit at least one day to do a thorough cleaning so that all you’ll need to do going forward is to maintain your work.
Common areas and ways to keep them naturally clean.
- Use the all-purpose cleaning spray to spray and wipe the counter
- Check the post of how to make your own all-purpose cleaning spray
- Sprinkle with salt and scrub with a sliced lemon
- Rinse and dry 3.TOILETS
- Scrub with toilet cleaning solution of ¼ to ½ cup vinegar and 1 or 2 cups of tea tree essential oil.
- Let it sit for an hour
- Scrub again and flush 4.FRIDGE
- Remove all food from the fridge and use baking soda mix to wipe the surfaces
- Remove all compartment and wash
- Mix 2 tablespoons baking soda with 4 cups warm water 5.DUSTING FOR NON WOOD
- Mix 1 tablespoon Castile soap with 1 cup water and 10 drops lemon essential oil
The tasks are challenging, but it’s worth it to live an organised and clutter free lifestyle.
Who’s ready to come onboard this challenge?